Northwestern Connecticut Community College is proud to offer a variety of veterans benefits for our students who are serving or who have served our country. We honor their courage and dedication to education. We can't think of a better way to show our appreciation for their fighting for freedom than by offering financial assitance to those veterans who need it most. Whether on active duty, the reserves or anything in between, there is assistance available at NCCC. Eligibility for veterans financial assistance is determined by the Veterans Administration (VA), 450 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103.
Applications for veterans benefits are available from the Northwestern Connecticut Community College Veterans Certifying Official on campus. Please apply well in advance of your first semester.
Available Veterans Benefits
- The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
- Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Contributory Education Assistance Program (Post-Vietnam Veterans)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
- Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve Program
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program
How Veterans Benefits Work
- You may use VA benefits to pursue a degree or certificate program.
- The program must be approved by the State Approving Agency and must be in that program.
- Once registered for classes and any applicable charges are paid for a given semester, the NCCC Certifying Official will certify the student’s enrollment to the VA. The VA will, in turn, pay benefits directly to the student.
- Continued certification of the student seeking VA benefits is contingent on the student maintaining good academic standing and satisfactory academic progress toward completing the requirements of his/her authorized program of study at NCCC.
Connecticut Veterans Tuition Waiver
- At least 90 days of active duty during a State-defined wartime period (Iraqi Freedom, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea, etc.)
- Honorable discharge from active duty.
To obtain this tuition waiver, a veteran should complete the application with the VA Certifying Official and present a copy of his/her separation document (usually DD 214). Additional information will be provided at that time. The Connecticut Veterans Tuition Waiver cannot be used for Extension Fund Courses and covers only tuition, not other student fees.
National Guard Tuition Waiver
- Members in good standing of the Connecticut Army and Air National Guard are eligible for a waiver of General Fund tuition. This waiver does not cover student fees or Extension Fund Courses.
- Guard members must obtain a certificate of eligibility from their unit and submit it to the VA Certifying Official when tuition is due.