Medical Assistant Associate Degree
Associate in Science Degree
Program Coordinator: Jane O'Grady, 860.738.6393
Graduates of the Medical Assisting program at Northwestern Connecticut Community College are satisfied with the education that they receive, as there is an average 100% graduate satisfaction rate over the past five years.
Jane O’Grady, email@example.com, 860.738.6393
In addition to General Education Outcomes, learners who complete the Medical Assisting degree will be able to:
1. Apply for the national medical assisting certification examination.
2. Perform all medical assisting skills at entry level competency.
3. Demonstrate and utilize the principles of medical asepsis and standard precautions, as well as other safety precautions.
4. Recognize emergency situations and respond appropriately to emergency care techniques in various life-threatening situations.
5. Obtain and effectively chart all pertinent patient data.
6. Apply knowledge and skills of various clinical procedures such as vitals, laboratory testing, and other diagnostic and medical procedures.
7. Utilize and interpret medical terminology.
8. Demonstrate basic pharmacology, dosage calculations, and routes for administration of medications.
9. Provide education to patients, families, and other care givers on various healthcare including preventative and treatment regimes
10. Demonstrate a working knowledge of the human body including structure, function and basic pathologies.
11. Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate and effective application of legal and ethical standards of practice.
12. Accurately maintain healthcare records, upholding all laws, regulations and applications of legal concepts to the healthcare practice and the medical assisting scope of practice.
13. Apply current medical insurance guidelines in billing and the use of ICD-10 and CPT coding.
14. Communicate effectively with patients and other healthcare providers.
15. Competently function within an interdisciplinary healthcare team.
ENG* 101 Composition – 3 credits
MED* 111 Administrative Medical Assisting – 3 credits
MED* 133 Clinical Medical Assisting w/Lab – 4 credits
MED* 125 Medical Terminology – 3 credits
CSA* 105 Introduction to Software Applications – 3 credits
ENG* 102 Literature & Composition OR COM* Communication Elective – 3 credits
MED* 112 Medical Insurance & Billing – 3 credits
PHL* 112 Medical Ethics – 3 credits
MED* 245 Clin. Lab Procedures & Practices w/Lab – 3 credits
MAT* 137 Intermediate Algebra – 3 credits
BIO* 110 Principles of Human Body w/ Lab or BIO* 127 Cell Biology and Organ Systems w/Lab – 4 credits
MED* 250 Principles of Pharmacology and MED* 250L Lab 1 – 3 credits
PSY* 111 General Psychology I – 3 credits
MED* 242 Lab Principles of Med Assisting II – 4 credits
ELECTIVE Directed Elective – 3 credits
ELECTIVE Humanities/Arts Elective – 3 credits
ELECTIVE Social Sciences Elective – 3 credits
MED* 281 Medical Assisting Practicum Externship – 4 credits (only offered Spring)
TOTAL CREDITS 60
As part of the annual review, graduates of the Medical Assisting Associate Degree Program over the past 5 years at Northwestern Connecticut Community College reported an average 100% graduate satisfaction rate.
The program’s most recently approved Annual Report Form (ARF) indicates:
Retention Percentage: 93%
National Certification Exam Pass Rate: 96%