NetID and Password Help:
What is a NetID?
A NetID is the username all students and employees are given when enrolled or employed at Northwestern CT Community College. A NetID will allow access to:
- Log onto college-owned computers on campus.
- On-campus WiFi
- Access your college Office365 account, including email, OneDrive, and Office suite.
- Access your student and/or employee information through the CSCU online portal: myCommNet
Where can I use a NetID?
- NetIDs are used across the entire Connecticut community college system.
- If you have never enrolled in or been employed by a Connecticut community college, you will automatically be assigned a NetID when you complete the application or hiring process.
- Once you have been assigned a NetID, you will then use that same NetID at any future Connecticut community college you enroll or work in.
What does a NetID look like?
NetIDs are formatted slightly differently for Students and Employees.
For Students of all the CT community colleges:
Your NetID is a combination of the eight digits of your BannerID followed by @student.commnet.edu
Your BannerID is an eight (8) digit number preceded by the @ symbol (You are automatically assigned a BannerID when you complete the application process).
A Sample Student NetID
If your Student BannerID is @12345678 then your NetID is:
If you are an Employee of NWCC:
Your NetID is a combination of the eight digits of your BannerID followed by @nwcc.commnet.edu
Your BannerID is an eight (8) digit number preceded by the @ symbol. You are automatically assigned a BannerID when you complete the application process.
A Sample Employee NetID
If your Employee BannerID is @12345678 then your NetID is:
What is my default NetID password?
Along with your NetID username, a default NetID password will be generated based on the following information:
- The first three characters of your birth month with the first letter capitalized. (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc)
- The Ampersand symbol: & (This symbol is found above the 7 key along the top row of a standard keyboard.)
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number (xxx-xx-1234)
Your NetID password is case sensitive.
If you did not provide the College with a SSN, then you must present a valid photo ID at the Registrar’s Office in Greenwoods, room 215, to be issued a default password.
You will be required to change your password the first time you login to any campus computer or myCommNet.
You will have two minutes to create and confirm your new password, otherwise you will have to start over.
Because your NetID is an important component of your college role, it is highly recommended you create a strong password to secure it. There are several default security standards imposed on any new passwords. They must adhere to the following requirements:
- Your password must be at least 8 characters long.
- Your password must contain at least 3 of the 4 types of characters listed here:
- Uppercase letters (A, B, C, …)
- Lowercase letters (a, b, c, … )
- Numbers (1, 2, 3, …)
- Symbols (!, @, #, …)
- Your password cannot contain periods (.)
- Your password cannot contain any part of your NetID, BannerID, or Name.
- Your password cannot be the same as any of your previous passwords, it must be unique.
Please note: Your password will expire every 90 days, requiring you to change it to continue using your NetID.
You must make this change before your current password expires, otherwise, you’ll have to reset it.
Please, do not share your NetID login with anyone. Your NetID is a vital aspect of your role at NWCC. Not only is this a violation of BOR IT policy, but you are exposing your college account information including email, personal details, and/or student grades.
How to reset a forgotten NetID password
You have several ways to reset a forgotten NetID password:
- Online (Students and faculty only)
- Over the phone to our 24/7/365 hotline: 860-723-0221
- During open hours at the following on-campus locations:
- The Registrar’s office in Greenwoods 215
- The Information Center in Founders Hall 104
- The NW IT Service Desk, in Founders Annex Computer Lab – FX111
If you have any questions regarding computer login procedures, please call the NW-IT Service desk: 860-738-6367
Please note: After SIX incorrect password entries you will be locked out of your account for a period of 30 minutes.
No college employee, including the IT Service Desk, will request your password. If you receive an email or phone call that requests your NetID or password, do not respond and immediately contact the IT Service Desk at 860-738-6367.
More information on your NetID and Password can be found on the BOR IT Service site HERE