New Student Online Orientation
Welcome new students to Northwestern Connecticut Community College! We are excited to have you join us and to welcome you into our family.
Orientation Mission Statement:
To welcome new students and facilitate a successful transition to the CT State Community Colleges, while navigating students through onboarding support, campus resources and enrollment. The purpose of the Orientation Program at Northwestern Connecticut Community College is to provide all incoming students with a collective and shared experience to set a tone for student academic and personal success while attending and after graduation.
To complete our mission, the Orientation Program at Northwestern Connecticut Community College provides the opportunity for students to:
-Identify campus support services to enhance student progress towards academic achievement and personal growth.
-Create a sense belonging community by acquainting students to Northwestern’s culture and compassion toward students.
Who Needs to Complete the New Student Online Orientation?
Whether you are a New, Transfer or Readmit student the CT State Community College – New Student Online Orientation will provide you with information related to academic and campus resources as well as student support services that will help you acclimate to the college environment and get the most out of your college experience.
The deadline to complete CT State Community College – New Student Online Orientation for Spring 2023 is February 10 , 2023. For Fall 2023 Students, the Deadline is September 22.
- We encourage all students to complete the full orientation prior to meeting with a Guided Pathways (GP) Advisor.
- The orientation takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes to complete entirely.
- You will receive a Certificate of Completion sent to your college email upon completion of all sections and the feedback survey.
- Students who complete the orientation and feedback survey are automatically entered in a CT State Community College giveaway of various items including bookstore vouchers, swag bags and more.
- It is accessible through mobile, tablet, and computer devices.
- You can bookmark orientation lessons and take virtual notes.
- Ability to stop and go and pick up where you left off.
- Closed Captioning available in English and Spanish.
- Send questions in the Ask a Question box.
- Download and print your Certificate of Completion.
How to Begin:
- You can sign-in to complete the CT State Community College – New Student Online Orientation 24-hours after being admitted to the college.
- You will need to log into myCommNetprior to accessing the online orientation portal: myCommNet instructions
- Have your myCommNetlogin information ready and sign in HERE to get started!
- Complete all orientation lessons and feedback survey.
- Check your college email for your Certificate of Completion or download it from your Online Orientation dashboard.
Highlights of the Online Orientation Platform:
▪ Provides a brief overview of all 12 CT State Community Colleges.
▪ Specific Areas Included:
o Student Support Services/Campus Resources
o Campus Life
o Paying for College
o Choosing an Academic Program
o Academic Advising Support
o Classroom Expectations
o Tools and Technology
o Campus Safety
Below you will find instructions on how to access Blackboard, myCommnet, and your Student Email. Should you have any questions or concerns about your orientation program contact Andrew Wetmore, Director of Student Activities at email@example.com or at 860-738-6344. For technology support please contact the IT-Help Desk at 860-738-6367.
Understanding how to navigate our online tools such as Blackboard and myCommnet to access your courses and other resources will be critical to your success! See below for more instructions on accessing myCommnet & Blackboard. Thriving in Virtual Environment
Please click the buttons below to take you to the Parent & Family Resource Guide (Downloadable PDF) and Parent & Family Resource Page on how you can support your student.Suggestions to Support Academic Success 8 Questions to Ask your Student
New Student Technology Support & Information
Students attending in the Spring 2022 semester will use an online platform in some manner regardless if their class is online or on-ground. To access their courses and important resources. Follow the link below to a page that contains critical information about where to find IT support services, where and how to access your online student portal (myCommnet & Blackboard), how to access your student email,Technology Support & Information
Policy on Refund and Course Withdrawals
It is important for students to understand their financial obligations while attending college, regardless if they are receiving financial assistant. Student and parents should read the Connecticut State Community Colleges’ Policy on Refund closely. Click here to read
All you need is a U-Pass CT and your student ID to ride buses and trains in Connecticut. Get where you need to go without having to pay a fare! Click here to learn more!
CTrides is a free program that helps commuters find the best way to get to work or school. We provide resources for choice commuting options throughout Connecticut, including bus, rail, carpools, van-pools, biking, walking, and teleworking.Discover the many services CTrides provides college students when traveling to and from campus!
Important LinksAcademic Calendar Bookstore NCCC Library Health & Safety Student Activities Disability Services Student Food Pantry Campus Map Student Clubs Advising