New Student Technology Support & Information
IT Support Services:
Student and faculty support hours are 24/7, 365 days a year. For assistance with a covered service (Blackboard, myCommNet, Banner Self Service, Office 365, NetID (Login Name & Password Help), Wireless, Library) visit us at the CCC Online Help Desk to chat or create a case or by phone (860.723.0221).
DIY IT Help: IT Support Services
Student workers will help provide you with one on one tutoring help via Microsoft Teams. You can book an appointment below to have access to a tutor willing to show you how to access and utilize the important online tools and programs vital to your success while attending courses online here at Northwestern. Tech tutoring will return in August 2021. Please contact the IT Help Desk:
Onsite IT Service Desk
Founders Hall Annex Room 111
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
CSCU Services Portal: https://cscu.servic-now.com/sp/
Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.nwcc.edu/departments/information-technology/
CSCU Online Help Desk
This online Help Desk is a 24/7 support site that can assist you with many common issues listed below. It offers live phone and online chat support, in addition to many self-help articles.
- Assistance with NetIDs
- NetID Password Resets
- Blackboard Assistance / Guides
- Installing Office 365
- Accessing myCommNet
- Accessing Email
- WebEx Hosting / Joining Guides
- Wireless Access (Wi-Fi) Instructions
- Recommended Technology for Online Classes
Web support and 24/7 Chat: https://cscu.edusupportcenter.com/
myCommNet is a portal that allows students, faculty, and staff to sign onto multiple systems using one logon-NetID. In myCommNet, you will have access to Blackboard , Banner Self-Service, email, and the library databases. You can also enroll for Emergency/Weather Alerts as well as accessing Degree Works. The best web browser to use is Chrome.
- First Time Logging In
Your NetID: Your NetID is your 8-digit student ID number followed by @student.commnet.edu
- Initial NetID Password
The initial password is made up of the following three items will comprise the initial password:
- 1st three characters of birth month (with first letter capitalized) (Examples: Apr, Mar, Jan).
- Ampersand character – “&”
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number
Complete Example: Oct&6789
- Creating a new password
It must be at least 8 characters long using:
- Uppercase letters
- Lowercase Letters
- Numbers or Symbols
Don’t use any personal information when creating a new password such as: Name, Birthday, SSN.
- More Information Required
After you log in to MyCommNet, you will get a prompt saying “More information is required”
- Hit Next and choose the link that says “I want to set up a different method”
- Choose from either Phone (text or call), Email, Security questions or the Authenticator app (Most choose the phone option – it is the fastest and easiest to set up).
- Instructions here: http://supportcenter.ct.edu/NetID/netid-faq.asp#moreinforequired
For more information about your First Time Logging into myCommnet Click Here
Click the button below to go directly to the login page.myCommnet
Live Blackboard Training 1/20/2020: 7:30pm: Click Here to Join the Meeting
As a new student or incoming transfer student, you are automatically enrolled in the Essential Blackboard Skills for student course. The course is presented through Blackboard, the online learning tool also used by professors to share course material including lessons, assignments, quizzes and tests.
Learn How to Access Blackboard
Click Here for step by step Blackboard Access Instructions
FAQ’s about logging into Blackboard
Still having a problem? Contact the Help Desk at: Call 860.723.0221
Be sure to have your name, institution, NetID, course name/CRN and browser ready.
- Essential Blackboard Skills for Students
- Please use this course in Blackboard as your resource on navigating and how to use all of Blackboard’s tools. This course contains excellent resources, videos and tutorials.
- Use the menu items to help navigate to specific areas.
Accessing your Northwestern Email
Learn How to Access Your Student Email
Learn how to access your email through myCommnet
- Putting Your Email on Your Phone / Mobile Device:
- Go to your App Store/Google Play Store, etc. on your Mobile Device.
- Download the Free Microsoft Outlook App.
*Make sure it is the correct app from Microsoft!
- Log into the app using your NetID and Password.