Northwestern Connecticut Community College is proud to offer a variety of veterans benefits for our students who are serving or who have served our country. We honor their courage and dedication to education. We can’t think of a better way to show our appreciation for their fighting for freedom than by offering financial assistance to those veterans who need it most. Whether on active duty, the reserves or anything in between, there is assistance available at NCCC. Eligibility for veteran’s financial assistance is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), 450 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103.


Apply for VA Educational Benefits here:

Veteran students and their dependents are also encouraged to apply for Federal financial aid.  Apply for Federal financial aid here:

Please apply well in advance of your first semester.


What documentation is needed for me to receive my benefits?

A government-issued photo ID is always required, additional documentation needed is based on the Educational Benefit you seek to use.  All documentation needs to be submitted to NCCC Certifying Official, Samantha Palombizio.

  • The Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty > DD-214
  • Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment > Form 1905 (Voc Rehab Counselor) and DD-214
  • Contributory Education Assistance Program (Post-Vietnam Veterans) > DD-214
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® > Certificate of Eligibility (VA Website) and DD-214
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance > Certificate of Eligibility (VA Website)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®– Selected Reserve Program > DD-214
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program > DD-214

How Veterans Benefits Work

  • You may use the Department of Veterans Affairs benefits to pursue a degree or certificate program.
  • The program must be approved by the State Approving Agency and must be in that program.
  • Once registered for classes and any applicable charges are paid for a given semester, the NCCC Certifying Official will certify the student’s enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Department of Veterans Affairs will, in turn, pay benefits directly to the student.
  • Continued certification of the student seeking Department of Veterans Affairs benefits is contingent on the student maintaining good academic standing and satisfactory academic progress toward completing the requirements of his/her authorized program of study at NCCC.

Tuition Waivers

Connecticut Veterans Tuition Waiver


  • At least 90 days of active duty during a State-defined wartime period (Iraqi Freedom, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea, etc.)
  • Honorable discharge from active duty.

To obtain this tuition waiver, a veteran should present a copy of his/her separation document (usually DD 214). Additional information will be provided at that time. The Connecticut Veterans Tuition Waiver cannot be used for Extension Fund Courses and covers only tuition, not other student fees.

National Guard Tuition Waiver


  • Members in good standing of the Connecticut Army and Air National Guard are eligible for a waiver of General Fund tuition. This waiver does not cover student fees or Extension Fund Courses.
  • Guard members must obtain a National Guard Tuition Waiver from their unit and submit it to the NCCC Certifying Official, Samantha Palombizio when tuition is due.